Broody BO - what are my options for hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gottaknit, May 28, 2008.

1. gottaknit

gottaknit Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    I have a broody buff orpington right now; she's been sitting in the nest box since Friday. I'm thinking of giving her some fertile eggs to hatch, but am new to this and have some questions.

Can a standard-sized hen hatch banty eggs? Would she be too heavy for them?

Can she hatch duck eggs?

Will she know how to care for the chicks (or ducklings), or do I need to take them away?

If she hatches some babies, when can they rejoin the flock? (There are only two other hens. I haven't noticed a "pecking order", but I'm sure there must be one.)

Thank you in advance for your patience!

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    [​IMG] Hi you! (it's me, Chelsea) [​IMG]

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Oh, and you could pop some chicks under her. Some people don't like this idea, but I've done it a night with a heat lamp near the broody somewhere, and never lost a chick. I have some EE chicks and bantam chicks hatching this weekend [​IMG]

4. gottaknit

May 28, 2008
    Who? You must be mistaking me for someone else who's been sitting at the computer all afternoon... [​IMG]

Can you tell I have housework to do? [​IMG] (I just like that smilie)

5. gottaknit

May 28, 2008
    Quote:I'm sure that wouldn't confuse her at all! [​IMG]
    So I would need to separate her before I did this, right? Or the other two hens would hurt the chicks? Do you think she could "raise" them? Hmm....

As it is she is hogging the one nest box and the other two have to sit on her to lay their eggs. [​IMG]

6. karrie

karrie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Yes, you can put a few eggs under her, but only as many as you can raise later. In 3 weeks, you'll have the chicks! I'd separate the hen, tho. I put mine in her own cage with food & water, & I'd let her out once a day for a little exercise. She wouldn't stay out long, wanting to get back on those eggs! I kept her & the chicks away from my others for several weeks because they wanted to fight.

7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Yes, I come here to avoid housework too-BYC is good for that! LOL

8. gottaknit

May 28, 2008
    Quote:I'm going to be in Your Town [​IMG] on Saturday. Jennifer K is having a yard sale/margarita party - you should come! I'll talk to DH and see if he will roll over and let me get some more chicks. I'll give you a call if he agrees- I'm pretty sure I have your # from the Indoor Park list. [​IMG]

9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Nice about Jennifer! I'm going to check it out-what time is the sale?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by