Broody bobwhite

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sunbursts, May 21, 2019.

1. sunbursts

sunbursts In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2019
    Illinois
    I have a pair of bobwhites that have build occasional nests but this time they built one my female laid an egg IN the nest (which she has never done) and the male has been a bit more aggressive towards us lately, female more vocal. I don't really care if they try to hatch it or not, but is there anything I can do to help encourage it, as I'm sure as an animal it's part of what makes them feel happy. They are in at night in cages and free range in cages during the day so I know I'd keep her by the nest instead of putting them outside, but not sure what else might help. Thanks for any help!

2. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Crowing

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Animals don't require motherhood to be happy. They don't know what eggs are, or why they're sitting on them. It's all instinct. Raising babies is stressful for the parents, what with having to watch for predators and make sure all get fed. Having babies won't somehow make them happier.
    There's no such thing as "free range in cages". Free range means they're running around loose, and if you free range quail, you never get them back.

I think we need more details on your setup. Are you moving them between enclosures daily? Poultry really do best if left in one situation. The ideal setup for bobwhites is a reasonably sized outdoor run, with some brush to hide in, that they're left in all the time. No need for a coop.

3. sunbursts

sunbursts In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2019
    Illinois
    Okay.....so I have them in cages inside and take them outside every day where they are in the grass in cages we move every few days. I am not allowed to have them permanently outside due to town laws, otherwise that is where I would have them. They enjoy being outside so I let them out there whenever I can.

She laid a few more eggs in the nest. I'm leaving her inside her cage for now instead of taking her out and I gave her more building material, grasses and such.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: