1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody braking eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Faizan Khan, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Faizan Khan

Faizan Khan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2013
    Hey all,

My broody is breaking eggs.
    It's about 9 days she is sitting on 6 eggs. Today when she took of for food i saw only 4 eggs.
    Do any one knows that why is she breaking eggs ?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Any possibility that a rat or snake is taking the eggs? Also other hens attempting to lay in the nest may be breaking the eggs. Is she isolated from the other chickens?

3. Faizan Khan

Faizan Khan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2013
    She is in a store room alone and no chances of rats and snackes there.

4. flyinhigh

flyinhigh Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2012
    On planet
    That happened to me last summer. I kept replacing eggs at first because I don't have a rooster. When I finally found 2 just hatched chicks from another flock, I moved her, some of the eggs, and added the 2 babies. When I picked up the hen from her first nest she was SOAKED underneath from broken eggs. I never found out why that happened but it was definitely a sticky mess of egg yolks, whites and shells stuck and glued to her underside. I was really puzzled because as I said I was switching them out so they wouldn't rot and it wasn't until that last day that I felt the mess stuck to her. I wish I could help you nut I can only commiserate. Sorry, d

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by