Broody Breaking in Winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SarahBoff, Feb 8, 2015.

1. SarahBoff

SarahBoff Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2014
    Northern Minnesota
    I have my first broody girl, Layah the Leghorn(unlikely huh?), and need to break her as it is too cold for her to hatch us some chicks! I have tried kicking her off the nest and it has not worked. I read about the wire bottom cage method, but I don't have anything that would work for that. I do, however, have a large plastic dog crate. Would this work? Thanks in advance for your help!

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    As long as she can stand up straight and turn around in it. If not, you might have to tidy up the garage and put her in there. You need something "airy" to cool her underpinnings and keep her on her feet. Another unventilated place to just sit won't do much good. [​IMG]

ETA: more info

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I think the plastic crate is too much like a nest.....you might be able to put a raised wire bottom in it if it's tall enough and you're handy.

....or it might be a good idea as a chicken keeper to invest in a small wire crate.
    I did and it has been a great tool. It's about 24" x 18" with 2 doors and is collapsible.
    It's great for isolating/transporting chickens...I temporarily removed one door and added a special panel so chicks could use it as a refuge while integrating with larger chicks...I added smaller wire mesh on the bottom to use as broody breaker. It's small enough to carry myself with a chicken or two in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by