Broody breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by seabreeze, Mar 12, 2011.

1. seabreeze

seabreeze Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    I am hoping everyone will chime in with what they think are the best, most consistent, rain or shine, broody breeds available IN STANDARD SIZE, NOT BANTY.

thanks!

2. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    I dont think there is a definite answer, in certain strains of some breeds they are great broodies and in others it is bred out.

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    i've herd wyandottes are really broody

4. ccoomber

ccoomber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    Here in the UK, Orpingtons tend to be broody! Although that may be different in the US strains.

5. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:out of are three orpingtons 1 is broody

6. seabreeze

seabreeze Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    Thanks Everyone!

I've heard that Orps, Wyandottes, standard Cochin are quite broody. How About Delaware or Sussex?

If I'm going to add a broody breed or two, I'd like the most input possible on everyone's sucesses and/or failures as well. I know that the breeds suggested as being broody does not necessarily make it so, across the board but working with percentages definitely helps. So please feel free to suggest the breeds you've had successes (and failures) with. Thanks!

7. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I have had luck with my Hatchery Cuckoo Marans going broody (at least 4 out of 5) and Black Australorp (1 out of 2).

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by