Broody breeds?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by raisinemright, Jan 22, 2014.

1. raisinemright

raisinemright Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    I am sure this has been discussed before but I was wondering what breeds goes broody more often then others? I do not have a bater yet and would like to hatch some chicks this spring. One more question, is there a better Hatchery over another or should I try and find local fertile eggs? Thanks everyone!

2. CrazyChookLady5

CrazyChookLady5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    Silkies is a good broody breed, I have them and last spring I had 2 go broody, they are also really good mothers for the chicks and are really protective

3. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Silkies are generally considered the most broody breed. I can't ever recall having a silkie hen that did not go broody at least once a year. But make sure you want them and can provide for their special needs. I don't think they mix as well with larger chickens as most others.

There are other breeds that get broody frequently. Cochins, Orpingtons and Marens are all well known for broody hens. Any of the more wild-type breeds like Red Jungle Fowl, Phoenix and the game breeds are also quite good.

Be sure you have a number of hens and that you leave golf balls or other fake eggs in the nest boxes to encourage them. I think excellent care and good conditions are very important too. I've seen broodies abandon their nest if they can't get enough food or water. I think they understand it's not a good environment to bring new chicks into.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by