Broody Brown Leghorn?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CanadianCrower, Jul 15, 2010.

1. CanadianCrower

CanadianCrower Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Today I have a brown leghorn who refuses to get off the nest so I can get the eggs. I have been trying since I got home this afternoon at two and it's six now. I let the others out to free range and she didn't budge. I didn't think leghorns went broody. Is it possible? She's just over a year old and the funny thing is that I started setting aside eggs to put a few in to the incubator next week, but if she'll do it for me that's great.

So what do you think? Can a leghorn go broody? Has anyone ever had it happen before? Or is my girl just playing house for a bit?

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Some of them will go broody, but leghorns are not good setters. I would let it set though.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Give it a try. The worst that can happen is that you may have to fire up the incubator and transfer the eggs there. She may prove to be an excellent broody.

4. CanadianCrower

CanadianCrower Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    So my girl Lola has stayed with her eggs the whole time and now the hatch day is only three days away. However, when I candled lest week, two of the eggs were way less developed than the others but were alive and I'm wondering what to do. Do I bring them in to the incubator or leave them with her? If she's going to hatch them I would say they are close to a week behind. Any suggestions??

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  5. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    First see if any hatch. If they do, she may stay on the nest for a day, or two. Then could put them in the incubator.

6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We have a broody white leghorn..she just got done raising 9 babies [​IMG]

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Pics! [​IMG]

8. jhatch

jhatch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    Out of all the leghorns the brown leghorn used to be a broody type chicken. They have had it bred out of them for the most part.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by