broody buddies (PICS!!) UPDATE...HATCHING!

mychickensrock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I have 2 broody bantams that seem to want to share a nesting box. They started out in 2 separate boxes. One girl kept leaving her eggs to go sit with girl #2 and share those eggs. I gave up trying to separate them and just put all the eggs (7 total) in there. The 2 girls seem perfectly happy to share a box. DH and I have got to get our little coop and tractor set up for the mamas and how ever many chicks hatch. I didn't really want more chicks, but we started out with 3 broody bantams about 2 months ago. They didn't care what they sat on. On February 19th, I found a hidden clutch of 10 banty eggs. I decided to see what would happen. These eggs were who knows how old and the temps had been dropping below freezing at night. I accidentally cracked one when I was trying to candle them. Luckily there was nothing going on in it anyway. I took 2 more out a few days ago. There was only 1 that was truly looking promising. The others had just a little veining. Since we now only have 2 broodies, I hope we atleast get 2 chicks so they each have one. Broody #3 gave up after I put the eggs under her. I'm trying to get a good picture of the 2 girls all snuggled to post.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh please, oh please, oh puleeeeeese!!!
big_smile.png

I have a little white silky and a big blue slate turkey hen who are broody buddies. The first time I saw that, I thought the silky was dead and about freaked out, grabbed her and she looked at me like I was a lunatic. I haven't let them keep any eggs, yet. Maybe I should try. I'll try to get a pic.
smile.png

I bet that is cute! These girls are funny. When it's bedtime, they snuggle their little heads up. I haven't been able to get a picture of it yet, but it is too cute. I just hope they will both be good to any chicks that hatch. What if only one hatches? Will they share custody?!
hu.gif

I had two hens sitting on a nest last year. In the end when the egg hatched (yes, only one survived) they both ended up co-mothering! Perhaps this is what could happen here? It was funny to watch one little chick being cared for by two hens lol

The eggs were put under them on the 19th of February. I think they should hatch next weekend. When I candled the eggs, they didn't look as far along as they should have been on day 10.

Back
Top Bottom