Broody Buddies?Question and pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Armageddon, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Armageddon

Armageddon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Southern California
    So...

One of my girls, a bantam started sitting, so I put some eggs under her. Yesterday, I noticed her "sister" sitting with her....Now they sit together.

I originally put 9 eggs under the broody, i can't find one of them and I accidentally picked one up and noticed it too late (and it cracked) and it WAS developing!! [​IMG]

Can i put more eggs under them? How long will they stay on the eggs once they start hatching? I am 7 days into the hatch. Also, if I buy some day old chicks to correspond to the hatch date...how many will they accept???

[​IMG]

2. Kovalciks Chickens

Kovalciks Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    well u can put a good clutch of eggs under her like 5-8 if not more. Just remember she is only so big. I have heard of some people that give their broody hens chicks on day 21 and she will take care of them and they will follow her. It is cute to watch but most people just use a hen as a bator and take the chicks and put them in the brooder when they hatch.

3. Armageddon

Armageddon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Southern California
    Oh...I didn't think of that....that's a good idea.

She has 7 now...can I add some more to the other hen? Will they sit on eggs after some hatch? i set the first 7 on 8/16

4. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Mine sit until there are no eggs left even if I add late ones

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by