Broody buddy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HHsix, Mar 26, 2015.

1. HHsix

HHsix New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Rivervale, Antonica
    I have two calls sitting on clutches right now. One of them, my grey, has a companion. I have a lone chocolate Indian Runner duckling who sits with Pippa all day. When Pippa comes out for food and water, the duckling comes too. At night, the duckling puts itself to bed. Is this normal?

Side note: The duckling is a lone duckling because the other five spontaneously died over a 72 hour period. No signs of illness or distress, no outward indicators, no fluids other than evacuation on death. Nobody else is sick nor has anyone else died. I am pending results from the necropsies.

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    yeah he needs a duckling to socilize and grow correctly or i would hand raise him inside

3. HHsix

HHsix New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Rivervale, Antonica
    I think what I am looking for is an answer to the "normal" about Pippa, the sitting call, allowing this eight week old Indian Runner to hang out with her all day while she sits on her nest. The duckling is fine, no issues to speak of. It seems to get along with the other calls and the chickens.

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    ohh, i though it was alot younger, my bad guess i didnt read that part, then i think u should be fine if its old enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by