Broody Budgies

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by MrNappy, Feb 8, 2013.

1. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Ok, i have a pair of budgies who like to break their eggs. The thing is she laid her first clutch in Nov/Dec and broke em all, now in Feb she's laid 2 eggs so far. These 2 eggs she had broken. In Jan (late Jan), i put 6 button quail eggs under her, she broke one after a week, (maybe too many for her). Now after a week and some days she is sitting on 5 button quail eggs, and breaking her own eggs. I would much prefer her to hatch her own eggs than the button eggs, how can i get her to do this? Also, the male and female BOTH, sit on eggs, sometimes at the same time, and sometimes they take shifts, is this natural?

Also, i added wood shavings in, and she took all of em out, in her nest where the 5 button quail eggs are. Is this ok?

I know, i know, i have to remove the baby buttons, she vomits in her babies mouth, but buttons eat by themselves from day 1.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    thats hard to keep them from breaking their eggs, its a bad habit ! can you find some small marble a rock that looks like eggs? or if you can blow the yolk out and put mustard in it. They dont like mustard. Hopefully they will stop breaking eggs !

3. MrNappy

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    They're sitting on 3-4 its ok now

4. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    [​IMG] Good luck !

5. MrNappy

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Ty, how long does it take for budgie eggs?

I also put 2 Cot eggs, lol, but both are sitting on eggs. And yet, whenever they look at each other outside of the box, they fight.

6. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    18 to 21 days .

7. MrNappy

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    The Button eggs are in there for 10+ days, if they hatch will she leave her eggs?

Of course, i'll remove em, i'm just wondering (buttons chicks)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  8. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Once an egg eater always an egg eater.

9. MrNappy

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Hehe, she stopped. I think male was doing it, but female convinced him to stop.

10. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011

It could also be a calcium deficency that he may of gotten from the eggs and stopped

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by