Broody Buff Orp now has lice, what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flockof4, Jun 29, 2010.

1. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    Our Buff Orp went broody and is now spending much of her day in the nesting box. We don't have a roo so she is not sitting on eggs. Yesterday when I pulled her out of the box to check her out I noticed she now has lice around her butt. I think the lice are a direct result of her sitting in the box all day. But until we can snap her out of the broody-ness, what can I do to treat the lice? And what can I do to help her stop being broody? [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Break a Broody Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2176186#p2176186

It is very possible it is not lice but roost mites. A University of Arkansas Ag professor said roost mites kill more broodies than anything else. Whether it is lice or mites, the treatment is pretty much the same. Dust her with Sevin or another dust or spray specifically intended for chickens the way the instructions say. Change out the nesting material and treat the coop. These links may help.

Ohio State – Mites and Lice
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

West Virginia – Mites and Lice
    http://www.wvu.edu/~exten/infores/pubs/livepoul/pfs23.pdf

3. flockof4

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    Thank you for the advice. I just got back from the store with Sevin. I will dust them and clean out the coop.

4. April Fountain

April Fountain Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2008
    Hawaii
    I had the same thing. The dust definitely helped and I change out the box of straw once a week while they are brooding.
    Good luck

5. flockof4

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    I read on the container of Sevin that it's not intended for animals. Did I get the wrong stuff? It's 5% carbaryl.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    5% is what is recommended.

7. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    I had a hen sitting on 4 fertile eggs abandon the nest when we got a raging infestation of mites. The mites were the worst in her nest box, I guess because she was sitting there all day. Had my mother and a wonderful friend come over and dust all of the chickens, remove ALL of the bedding, dust everything down, etc. Discovered one of the hens was lethargic and added vita-mate to the water for 5 days, and all was well. All 4 eggs were moved to my incubator and they all hatched. Good luck !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by