Broody Buff Orp.

jmwirish

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
She's been broody for about 3 weeks, can't seem to stop her. Am thinking about just giving in and giving her a few eggs to hatch, but is it too late? Is she likely to stop being broody halfway to hatch time?
hmm.png

I checked this morning before work and had my daughter go look in on them about 1/2 hour ago and So Far So Good. She is still sitting in the nest with the chicks and growling at anyone who comes near.

When I put them under her last night, I first took out her golf balls she was trying to hatch, then put the chicks under her wings and watched for about 15 mins. Then , I took her out and set her on the edge of the nestbox just to make sure she new they were there. Shen went right back in and started talking to them and covered them up and settled down with them. I watched for a little longer to make sure all was well, then left them alone to bond.
smile.png

Sounds like a success. Wish I had some chicks to put under mine, but think I'll go ahead and give her a few eggs to try hatching since she's so determined. Eggs are pretty prescious right now for me, and would hate to have them ruined, but it would be nice to see her doing something useful as long as she's so stubborn about the whole thing!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom