Broody buff orp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crooked stripe, Sep 10, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I placed a post in a tread about how a hen will hatch out chicks. Eggs are due in 1 day. I asked about what the hen will do. Common sense should have told me she would keep the newborns warm. When should I notice life if any. Discarded shells, peeping, heads popping out? This is all new to me and am all excited. It has been getting in the low 50's around here at night so my girls spend more time in the coop in the morning. I sure hope that mom will do the right thing but I have no idea what. I need some input here. John

2. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    hmmm not sure.. but good luck! i bet she will be a great momma! i just bought 2 buff orp pullets 1 or 2 days ago andboy they are just adorable!!! i love buffies! [​IMG]

3. hlyndes

hlyndes Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    H-Town Texas
    Usually I can hear the first clues. Most of my broodies are quiet unless I (or another chicken) gets close t them. But, once something hatches under them, they usually start clucking a 'low, soothing' sounding cluck, and I can usually hear a peeping from the babies, too. At this point I leave the mama alone because I do not want to mess up her humidity or make her trample anything!

Have fun and keep your ears open! [​IMG]

4. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I think this is more hard on the nerves than incubating. At least with a bator you can see something. Thank you for the replies and hope I get a few more. John

5. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    hlyndes, this morning when letting the chickens out to roam I looked in on my broody buff orp. She is making, what you call soft clucking sounds. I sure hopes this a start of a good thing. Like ET states, need input. Can the hen feel the chicks moving around to hatching position? Is there some sence life in the eggs she can detect? This is day 20 and in my incubator I have seen eggs moving back and forth on this day. She was out of the nest box some time last evening releaving her self and eating a good amount of food for the first time since she started to set. I hope this is another good sign. I guess only time will tell but the wait is killing me. At times I wish the chickens could talk and let us know what is going on. John

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I let my hens hatch out the chicks instead of using a 'bator.
    The hens can hear the chicks before they start to hatch because the chick will be peeping inside the shell. This, among other things such as a timetable, lets her know they are hatching. She keeps them warm as they work on the shell and when the chicks are finally out of the shell she sits on them to let them dry and stay warm.
    I had one hatch out a few days ago and it started in the morning about 6:30 and by the afternoon check for laid eggs, I saw a little black head pop out from under the white hen.
    The hen is a bantam Cochin and the chick is a standard Araucana. I took the chicks from the hen because my white Cochins hate the color black and will try to destroy them.
    I put the chick in the brooder with the other chicks that have been hatching out. However, the white standard Araucana chicks that hatched out a few weeks ago are still in with the flock and are doing great. I have several flocks that will intermix during the day but go back to their respective coops at night.
    Good luck and enjoy the new babies![​IMG]

7. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Thanks Nadine. All your replies have made my day. You can find me in the coop with my flash lite. Kinda dark in there. John

8. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Your hen knows by instinct what to do. I have hatched all my babies out by brooders. I normally move them out of the coop a day after the eggs hatch. The mother hen does a great job of taking care of the babies and teaching them what they need to know to survive. Even if they are separated after birth for whatever reason, I think it is instinct in animals to know what to do.

9. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Nadine, how did you tell the hatching started at 6:30? I haven't seen the eggs I placed under her for the last 21 days. Still waiting and watching. John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by