Broody Buff Orpington

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rick&Chris, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Rick&Chris

Rick&Chris Songster

I have a broody girl - I have been removing her from the nest box a few times per day and putting her out in the run, she continues to go back and sit in an empty nest box, no eggs underneath her. I removed the nesting material and she moved to the next nest box.

I put her belly and feet in water this morning, two times to lower her body temp. The first time she went right back into the nest box the second time she stayed in the run. I need to check on her when I get home to see where she is.

I actually thought about giving her some fertilized eggs to hatch, but we are going on vacation soon. And I don’t want more chicks.

If I use a pen, what kind do you suggest? A little concerned about a dog crate as the wire on the bottom is wide apart, I’m afraid her foot will go through.

Input is greatly appreciated! Love this group!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you don't want her to hatch out chicks, best to break her broodiness promptly.

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

I used to let them out a couple times a day, but now just once a day in the evening(you don't have to) and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two. Or take her out of crate daily very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate.

Chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor after pic was taken.
    upload_2019-6-17_16-9-2.png

Trux, Pretty Birds and Rick&Chris like this.
  3. Rick&Chris

Rick&Chris Songster

Is it dangerous if she’s not broken promptly? Just got home and she was back in the nest box with no eggs under her - So the dunk in the water did nothing. Took her out and put her in the fenced in area outside of our run, she’s going into eat and drink.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Long term they can lose condition and health.
    The longer you wait to 'break' them the longer it can take.

I'd wager she'll be back on the nest before roost time.

Trux and Rick&Chris like this.
  5. Pretty Birds

Pretty Birds Songster

May 13, 2019
    Maine, USA
    That was the reason I didn't give any eggs to my broody Barred Rock. I think I am going to have to put her in a hanging wire cage.

Rick&Chris likes this.
  6. Rick&Chris

Rick&Chris Songster

I’ll be putting her back at the roost after dark. Need to dig out the dog crate. Should I leave it in the run or in the coop?

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wherever it's best protected from the weather.
    I assume you work all day and can't monitor?

8. Rick&Chris

Rick&Chris Songster

Correct. I could put her in the covered run and cover top and side with a tarp to keep her from getting wet. But would hate to have her out there alone. If I put her in the coop she will see the other girls going in and out of the nest boxes. And it’s warmer & darker in there than the run.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Won't the other birds spend a good amount of the day outside in the covered run?

10. Rick&Chris

Rick&Chris Songster

2A574259-7158-4064-8832-7FCE2610D946.jpeg
    Yes - they’ll be in and out of the run & coop. Here’s a pic. They only have access to the “outside” when I’m home and watching them.

Trux likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: