1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Buff Orpington

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mary Beth Schuiteman, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Mary Beth Schuiteman

Mary Beth Schuiteman New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    I have a broody hen (Buffy)and she has 8 eggs in her clutch. She has been sitting on her nest for about 14 days. I moved her out of the coop and into a large dog kennel (to my preschool classroom, in a quiet room off the classroom). I did this four days ago. After the kids left today at 11:00, all was quiet. My co-worker called me around 1:00 and Buffy was clucking like she was going to lay an egg and off her nest and walking around the kennel. She drank some water. Why did she do this? Can she feel the chicks in the eggs moving. She was just a baby last spring, we are both new at this. Help. I really would love to have her hatch the chicks. What can I expect?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    She may be upset that you moved her from her chosen spot. Has she sat back down on the eggs yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by