Broody, but NO eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chica Lady, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Chica Lady

Chica Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    Hi, I have an OEGB that has gone broody, but she is not sitting on any eggs. I don't understand? Why would she try to hatch out imaginary eggs? Though, I did take an egg away from her that first day I noticed that she was broody. I am undecided on whether or not I want to break her. I do want her eggs, they are delish. I am unsure at this point in time if I want her to be a hen-cubator. I do have chicks that should start laying at around September. Maybe I could break her, and then later on, I still have the others to sit on and raise chicks if I want. Any advice or expertise is appreciated.

thanx

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I think it's a hormonal thing that makes them go broody. They don't have to have eggs to be broody, and game hens are super broody. If you break her, she will more than likely go broody again soon.

3. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    So, is it a waste to even try to break her? Why not just leave here where she is happy??? Let her get it out of her system. (Great, there was something else I wanted to mention, and I forgot what it was..... [​IMG] I'll come back when I remember........ SQUIRREL!!!!!

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Pinky is right on all counts. Depending on the hen, she may give it up in a few days, a few weeks, or like the Spanish Game hen I once had, she may set there all summer. Don't get paranoid about her health as she will get up when she needs to. Why not give her a few eggs and really make her happy? I just did that last Fall.........Pop

5. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    I'm not sure I'm ready to add more chicks. I just got my chicks a month ago. I have 7 - 4 weeks old and I was given a hen and rooster that are about a year old. Maybe I should call the man I got the day old chicks from, and see if he has any hatching eggs. Maybe just one or two. Pinky said that Game hens are super broody. I might never break her from it. I don't really want to anyway, but if there's a chance that she could be there all summer......... I live in MS, and it gets pretty hot in the summer. She doesn't need to be stuck in the nest box all day/night. Not only that, but sometime in the next week or two, I will be moving the bigger chickens to the new coop/run. Then I will be moving the chicks into the hutch that is being used by the bigger chickens now. It's a converted rabbit hutch. The bedroom for the bunny is now the nesting area. I took off all the hardware fabric and replaced it, but left an area for a plywood door so I can collect eggs. I tried to attach a pic, but was having trouble loading.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by