Broody but not..

jus10inla

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
Louisiana
Pekin & cayuga ; both approximately 2 yrs old. I got them about a year ago and previous owner said they had brooded before. They did this about 3 or 4 months ago now doing itagain. I have no problem letting them go broody or hatxhing, thats why I have drakes… any way heres my issue. They stay in nesting box most of the day, but soon as i get home and let the chickens out , they both jump out nesting box and fly to pond with the rest of the ducks. now , the first time this happened i didnt think anything of it. I wasnt paying close attention. About a week later I collect eggs, next morning i bust one open… had an embryo forming,! I knew which eggs i had collected & 4/6 had embryos forming.

I do have a way to contain just them, with nesting boxes. ( my duck and chickens lay in different nesting boxes, but the run can be partitioned Just for broody purposes as ive done my chickens like this. ) so do i leave them in Separate pen and force them to stay in private run, and let the other 3 ducks out with chickens? I feel if i dont do this ima end up with semi incubated eggs getting mixed with non imcubated.

I know it’s perfectly normal for them to leave the nest. like i said ive brooded before but its always been chickens…

But 10-12 hours tho? i let them out around 3 pm, there in the nest. lock them up at 8:30 pm when they scuddle to there bed. I always do one final check around 10 pm or so and none are in nesting box. Next morning at 5 am none in nesting box, but when i get home at 3 there back in the box 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Well the 2 swedish are PISSED bc there friends are in a private pen. To the point of im expecting one set or the other to find a way to get to the other set. If the swedes break the barrier thats fine tho. all 5 can stay in that pen

Back
Top Bottom