broody button quail roo

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chance&augie, Sep 20, 2011.

1. chance&augie

chance&augie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Greater Houston Area
    we went out of town for a long weekend so we didn't pick up the eggs (the buttons have plenty of food and water b4 we left of course) and when we returned the roo has been sitting on the eggs!!! It has been about a week and he's dutifully sitting on them. only gets up every once a while to eat and then went right back to sit. wouldn't let the hen sit on the eggs either.

should i just leave him alone.

2. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I would if he's setting good he might hatch them out

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If you don't want the eggs to hatch you should take them away. He'll get over it.

4. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    This is fascinating. I have never heard of a roo sitting on the eggs himself. I've heard stories of the roo helping the female out, but not taking sole responsibility for sitting on the nest. Might be interesting to see what he'll do, if he manages to hatch them out. He'll be quite an attentive father, I should imagine [​IMG]

5. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    as would i. it would be funny seeing little buttons following a roo.

6. chance&augie

Jun 29, 2011
    Greater Houston Area
    omg omg omg... 3 baby button quail chicks hatched today.... naturally incubated by the roo!!!! trying to take some pictures but roo is very protective. had to remove the hen (Augie) cuz she was picking on the chicks.

omg

7. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Oooo Papa Roo please allow your mama/papa to take some photos! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  8. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    sounds awesome

9. chance&augie

Jun 29, 2011
    Greater Houston Area
    another one hatched right b4 dinner time. roo showed them to eat, but the chicks would rather hide underneath him. Hopefully tomorrow will have better luck getting pics. Total of 4 hatched so far out of about a clutch of 12~14.

10. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    chance&augie :

another one hatched right b4 dinner time. roo showed them to eat, but the chicks would rather hide underneath him. Hopefully tomorrow will have better luck getting pics. Total of 4 hatched so far out of about a clutch of 12~14.

dying to see this, i just got a pair of buttons and i REALLY hope its perfect match and she gets broody and they both raise them :QQ​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by