1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Call Duck !!!! New pics of Millie on her nest!so cute!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cat1994, Feb 7, 2012.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    So my Millie is broody! I’m so happy; this is her first year so I was a little nervous about her, but so far so good. I hope she sits well and makes a great mom just like Angel did last year. She is sitting on 7 eggs and she looks so cute and pretty all tucked up on her lil nest, and now Angel is laying in her own nest so if all goes as planed I should have lots of new lil Calls this year! Oh how I just love the natural brooding process [​IMG]
    Here is Millie up close
    [​IMG]
    This is Angel with last years brood before I had bought Pip and Millie
    [​IMG]
    Here is Millie in the back, she is a blue fawn and then Angel is
    the white duck across from Pip, the man of the house lol my grey drake
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    How cute!!!

3. cjh0907

cjh0907 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    I am interested in getting call ducks this spring but dont know too much about them so i thought i would ask a call duck owner for some information. How do i go about getting some and how do they compare to normal ducks in terms of care?

4. minichic

minichic Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Congratulations on your upcoming call ducklings. How exciting. I first saw this breed at the Northeast Poultry Congress in January and am absolutely smitten. They are definitely on my wish list :)

5. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Millie is one cute little duck! Here's to hoping she stays sitting pretty for you! [​IMG]

6. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO

Thanks everyone I'm really excited for the out come of this hatch! Oh and cjh0907 I would highly recommend call ducks lol they are great. I suggest reading the book titled: The Call Duck Breed Book By Dr. C. Darrel Sheraw. It is so helpful I don't know how I ever bred my calls without its advice before lol. You can order some calls from efowl.com I think, I don't know what quality they are but I know they sell them, I bought mine from my local poultry swap and that is where I sell mine, I'm sure you could find people over the web that breed great calls also, you just have to keep a look out. Ummm compared to normal ducks in terms of care... well they aren't really that much different lol. The things I love the most is their small size, before these lil calls I had a Pekin and it was such a hefty pain, but these guys need so lil space (not that they don't appreciate lots of room) and are easy to handle and move about. Plus they don't need a huge body of water to wash up in, mine do have a pond in the summer but they are perfectly happy in a small rubber pan. A word of advice real quick, don't skimp out on the water, these guys can get sinus infections pretty easily b/c of those cute lil bills they have so the more fresh water they can clean their heads in the better.

7. roosterfoot

roosterfoot Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Are there any call duck breeders near central Indiana?

8. carolynm

carolynm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Bailey, CO
    It looks like you have a lovely trio there.

9. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I just had to go out and take some pics of my lil Millie on her nest, she is just so cute!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Adorable [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by