broody carl

chickencarsten

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
ipswich massachusetts
i just ordered eggs for my broody chicken carl (i dont know why i pick that name so dont ask) this is the first time carl got broody and i have a broody chicken. could anyone give me some tips.

welcome-byc.gif

#1- Never underestimate the smell and size of a broody poop, its the worst smell ever!!! I have managed to train a few broodies to go outside, I'd take them off the nest twice a day and get them all worked up. They did their business and went back to the brooder without the stinky mess

#2 make sure they are eating and drinking, some broodies sit so tight on the nest they don't bother to go out to eat or drink.

Are you planning to put eggs under her to hatch? If not then i would break her of being broody right away.

There are a few ways people have mentioned on here about how to break a broody, one is to put them in a wire cage with no shavings or nesting material in there, should take a few days to a week to break her of it.

Let the eggs settle for a day at room temp before putting them under her & then just make sure she is eating & drinking once a day. Also keep the nest reasonably clean. Other than that, just let nature take it's course.
Congrats!

I did the same thing this past spring with my bantam.....when I asked the same Questions some people told me
>to put a small dog cage over top of her and supply food and water to her....because the other girls were laying in her spot...and so she feel protected and also for the chicks protection once they hatch...
>Some people have "broody pens" already set up for this purpose..
> She does all the work...
> Mark your Calender when the eggs go under her...
hope this helps...

P.S. Mark all the eggs you put under her with an X or something so you can take away any newly laid eggs from other hens.

Back
Top Bottom