Broody causing others to stop laying? new pics 5/22

scfire

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
I have a broody that I plan on trying to break tomorrow (cold water on the bottom) that seems to be causing the others to stop laying. Is this possible? Also one of my hens is missing some feathers on her neck. Could this be from the broody pecking at her?

Last edited:
they might be molting. our broody hens usually don't make the others stop laying, they usually lay eggs in with the broody so if we don't keep track of the eggs she would hatch babies at all different times! we just take them out of the nest and carry them outside by the water and food. sometimes it takes several days of doing this. otherwise set some eggs under her if you have any. molting will make them slow down on laying and the weather does too.

I'm having the same problem - 1 broody hen and the rest have stopped laying. They're not laying in the box she's in (I check daily) and we other boxes that they've all laid in before...just not anymore. I don't plan on breaking mine though - in fact I have eggs coming next week for her to sit on & hopefully hatch some cuties!!
clap.gif

I'm keeping an eye on this post though, because I want to know the same thing...why have the other hens stopped laying!! Good luck with breaking her, scfire!
fl.gif

Well I believe I know what is going on now. I have two out of the three that are broody and the third is laying the egg that they are infatuated with. Today I locked them out of the pen and did a little cold water treatment. One of the girls was so determined to sit that the bucket of water didn't seem to phase her.
Picture084.jpg

She was so determined that she thought she could get into the "nest" by going through the roof.
Picture083.jpg

After a few hours she finally joined the other two in the yard. I put them up this evening and straight to the nest the other one went. I might have lucked out with one of them but tomorrow I have to deal with the other one.

Back
Top Bottom