Broody chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MsSage, Mar 28, 2012.

1. MsSage

MsSage Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    My first chicks are almost 3 weeks old. I have one who seems to be always sitting ...she ( I think) will nestle down in the pine shavings and when I take them outside she will do the same in the dirt. Do chicks get broody?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Is she cold?

No chicks do not go broody.

3. MsSage

MsSage Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    I dont think so cuz I would think if so she would get up on the milk crate closer to the lamp. I dont take them out unless its over 75. hmmm ok now I am really wondering

4. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Sounds like she is dust bathing. Nothing to worry about, mine do it all the time.

5. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    A couple of mine would do the same thing, they are just learning to dust bath!

6. aoxa

Dust bathing is really easy to spot. They shake the shavings up everywhere while kicking under them. If she is not moving and is nestling down, I would wonder.

7. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    One of my buff brahmas dust bathes alot too. At first i thought she was just lazy since whenever id take the chicks outside, everyone else would be scratchin around and shed be huddled down in the dirt scratchin and peckin from her seated position lol. Its super cute to watch them do that stuff so young.

8. aoxa

I know. I'm always thinking, "How do they know how to do that!" :p

Without a mom to teach them how to do all these things, how would they learn? They sure learn it fast! Mine were all dust bathing by a week or so. I love watching them preen and sunbathe :love

9. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I know. Scratchin in the dirt is what trips me out. I had no idea they didnt need to be taught that. I thought for sure I was gonna get to be outside walkin around the yard with a little line of chicks behind me, teachin them how to do all this stuff. Instead Im just some scary thing they run away from that they tolerate watchin over while they figure it all out on their own lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by