Broody chicken and now shivering

FirstTimer33

Hatching
Jun 12, 2015
Hey. I've had a broody chicken for about two weeks. She isn't very active and eats/drinks less then usual. I've tried to break her of it but nothing has worked. When checking in on her this morning she has weight loss and is now shivering. No detectable disease, not egg bound but hasn't produced an egg in two weeks that I can tell. We've had some extreme heat in mass the past three weeks. She will eat and drink if I put food/water in front of her. She must be eating on her own cause it's been two weeks. What's going on? What do I do?

Welcome to BYC. If she is broody and not sick, she needs to be placed in a cage without bedding on an old towel, puppy pads, or paper towels. The best type of broody breaker is a pen set on the grass or ground with a roost, and food/water. This can take 5-7 days for the most stubborn broody. May sure that she is warm enough if it is cold where you live right now. Broodies generally don't eat much until they are getting over it, and put some soft scrambled egg out daily to nibble on. Tuna is another good snack for protein. Add her usual feed, and some vitamins to the water with an occasional bit of yogurt or cottage cheese for probiotics.

Thanks for the advice. She just ate the eggs and a table spoon of cottage cheese. I'm going to make a coop for her now. I'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom