Broody chicken attack by dog

outofthereality

Chirping
May 9, 2020
Hi I was wondering what can I do for my baby. She was attack by a dog and was in her coop at the time because she been broody and we wanted her to have her chicks. The dog seem to ripped her feathers out from her back and looks severely injured. I mixed 5 aspirin in a gallon to ease her pain and cleaned her wounds. I added a reptile light in which I can control the heat because it seems the pain made her a bit cold but now she’s regaining her heat back. I spread ashes on her since it’s what I used. She’s been drinking water with electrolytes and she’s taking water too. Is there any advice I can get so she can survive?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 10
Poor girl. Were there any puncture wounds? What you've done so far is good. Chickens are resilient little creatures. If she is eating, drinking, and only has some ripped out feathers, she will likely survive.

What happened to the eggs?
A few in her back but didn’t seem deep from my concerns. Her eggs were safe, we removed her back she wanted to crawl to her eggs. She’s with them rn. I want to know what food I should try giving her. Any suggesting?

I’m hoping tonight she’ll make it theough
She should make it. I had a hen get mauled by a dog. She had such deep puncture wounds and tares that we had to give her at home stiches. She is now 7-8 years old and thriving. We kept her on her regular laying feed while she was healing so I suppose you can do the same with your girl.

Last edited:
Hi I was wondering what can I do for my baby. She was attack by a dog and was in her coop at the time because she been broody and we wanted her to have her chicks. The dog seem to ripped her feathers out from her back and looks severely injured. I mixed 5 aspirin in a gallon to ease her pain and cleaned her wounds. I added a reptile light in which I can control the heat because it seems the pain made her a bit cold but now she’s regaining her heat back. I spread ashes on her since it’s what I used. She’s been drinking water with electrolytes and she’s taking water too. Is there any advice I can get so she can survive?

A few in her back but didn’t seem deep from my concerns. Her eggs were safe, we removed her back she wanted to crawl to her eggs. She’s with them rn. I want to know what food I should try giving her. Any suggesting?
Make sure she's not overheating with the bulb.

Is she able to stand? You mention she wanted to crawl to her eggs, was that just to cover them or that's the only way she can move?

Get her hydrated and drinking. Her normal feed is fine to give.

Keep us posted.

Make sure she's not overheating with the bulb.

Is she able to stand? You mention she wanted to crawl to her eggs, was that just to cover them or that's the only way she can move?

Get her hydrated and drinking. Her normal feed is fine to give.

Keep us posted.
She wanted to cover them after the attack she was in shock. My other chicken was attack to her and she was wobbly and hide in the coop. After a few hours she came out and walk.

update: she has passed away tonight. I believe her injuries were more internally severe than externally. How can I incubate her eggs?

No we recognize her leg was stiff, wasn’t sure because of the shock or she just wanted to stay at her eggs.

Last edited:
She wanted to cover them after the attack she was in shock. My other chicken was attack to her and she was wobbly and hide in the coop. After a few hours she came out and walk.

update: she has passed away tonight. I believe her injuries were more internally severe than externally. How can I incubate her eggs?

No we recognize her leg was stiff, wasn’t sure because of the shock or she just wanted to stay at her eggs.
I'm so sorry. :hugsHer external wounds did not seem bad so she must have had an internal issue.

How far along are the eggs? I've never made a DIY incubator before so I don't want to misguide you on making one. The main thing is that they need to stay 99F with 50% humidity. The eggs will need to be turned at least 3 times a day until lockdown.
There are a lot of YouTube videos on making one, but they are slightly different and I don't know what items you have available. You can also try making a new thread on homemade emergency bators.

Keep me posted and good luck.

Last edited:

I'm very sorry to hear about your hen :hugs

A lot of times there is internal damage and too great to overcome. You did what you could for her.

I agree with @SilverBirds I don't know anything about making a homemade incubator. If you can buy an incubator at TSC that may be best, but looking up DIY bators is a great idea. I remember someone here on BYC had a broody just suddenly die, most of the eggs were pipping (so ready to hatch), they hurriedly put the eggs in a crockpot on low, kept humidity up and really monitored the heat. They were able to finish the hatch successfully. I suppose it all depends on how far along the eggs are, but I hope you are able to hatch these.

Back
Top Bottom