Broody chicken finally lays again

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kamuelamom, Mar 19, 2012.

1. kamuelamom

kamuelamom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    After nearly 6 weeks, my little chicken's broody spell is broken and she finally laid an egg again yesterday. Her broody behavior began in the first week of February. I didn't know what was happening but the more I read up on this topic, I learned what about this behavior. I would take her out of the nesting box daily, and sometimes she'd stay out for a while, but usually would go right back in to sit on the eggs. This went on and on for weeks. She was protective of the eggs and loved just sitting on them, but didn't mind my collecting them daily, sometimes as soon as they were laid. Eventually she contracted a round of small black bugs, I think from the pine shavings. They were starting to eat at her wattle and other parts of her face, poor thing! So I read up on that and removed all the shavings, washed out the tractor and cleaned off her face as best as I could. I then lad to leave on a trip to come home pleasantly surprised that the spell had ended during my trip, and the bugs were gone. My daughter reported that she was broken almost the very next day. Thankfully none of the other chickens got the bugs. She's normal again, and yesterday she was proud to announce her first egg in almost 2 months!

I love this forum and all its contributors for the helpful information I receive here and the stories which make me smile. Thank you Backyard Chickens!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. kamuelamom

kamuelamom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    I forgot to mention that during this broody period, she had bare breasts. Yes, this is true. [​IMG] But yesterday when I checked, I noticed little feathers starting to come in. [​IMG]

Whew, so much to learn about what I should and should not be concerned over! Thank you again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by