Broody chicken has worms and injured chicken has mites or lice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wnc mtn girl, Jul 9, 2016.

1. wnc mtn girl

wnc mtn girl Just Hatched

Jul 9, 2016
    Asheville, NC
    llo everyone. I am new to having chickens and everything was going great... until last weekend. My silkie hen got a hole on the back of her neck from my rooster. We doctored her up and separated her in a brooder box. At the same time, my lavender americauna hen went broody (this is my 1st time experience). Yesterday we saw that the silkie had little reddish kind of long (not round) bugs!! I think it is because she hasn't been able to do dust baths. And on top of that, we saw a giant poop in the chicken lot with white worms in it (dead worms) which we assume is from our broody hen based on what we've read. For the bugs, we bought "dust on" and put it all over her plus bought D.E. to put in her box, the coop, nesting boxes & dust bath areas. For the worms,we bought Wazine and put it in everyone's water today. We moved our broody hen last night to a box in a dog kennel so she could have her own area. I'm not sure if she will drink the Wazine water since she's just sitting on eggs?? I also just ordered Valbezen for the next step but we're going on vacation next Friday and I won't be able to do any deworming for 15 days instead of 10. Will this be ok or should I do it next Thursday night? We took a sample to our vet & they don't do fecal tests for chickens!?!? Is there anything else I should be doing for both these issues? It's been a very overwhelming week

2. farmgirllvo

farmgirllvo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    First breath :) separate them both to give them both time to heal, but one tbls of apple cider vinigar to a gallon for each of their waters, the Brody hen will drink and eat she will come off the nest for no longer than an hour a day, but yes she will eat and drink.
    Let me know how it goes! :)

3. wnc mtn girl

Jul 9, 2016
    Asheville, NC
    I have had the injured one separated since last Saturday and the broody one separated since last night. You were right..... I watched her for the last 35 minutes eat, drink, scratch & peck the "ground" (aka....the bottom of her new cage)!!! Then she went back to her eggs. Should I give them all (injured one,broody one & the rest of the flock) the Valbezen before my vacation (which would be 5 days after the Wazine) or wait until I get back (15 days after the Wazine)??? Of course this would all happen when we're getting ready to go on vacation so I can't treat again on day 10..... ughhh. As far as the "bugs" on the injured one..... I can't tell if they're mites or lice. Is it the same treatment?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I believe that it is pretty much okay to give the second dose of dewormer from 10 days to 21 days after the first dose. The only thing is, is that Wazine only kills round worms, and the second dose is to get the worm eggs that hatch. So, I would give the Valbazen when you get back, and then repeat it 10 days later. Permethrin dust or 10% spray will kill both lice and mites, and needs repeated in 7 days for mites, or 10 days later for lice. Lice move much faster than mites, and you can usually seen white clumps of lice eggs at the base of the feathers, especially under the vent.

5. wnc mtn girl

Jul 9, 2016
    Asheville, NC
    That's a good idea. I didn't want to overdose them. That sounds like a plan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by