Broody chicken help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by liamando, Aug 3, 2013.

1. liamando

liamando Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2013
    Scotland
    My bantam has gone broody but has also stopped laying eggs (1 year old) no roosters around so is this normal also can anyone explain a broody buster photo would be great

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They don't lay eggs when they are broody.

To break a broody you can put them in a cage with a wire bottom. I have tried this and it failed (tried for 24-48 hours as they say).

3. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    I had to end my hens broody-ness after no eggs hatched. She is usually a die hard, but she stopped in four days. All i did was take her out of the basket whenever i saw her there. When i closed the door at night i also lifted her up onto the roost. I didn't want to put her in a cage. You could replicate what i did with my other hen who is hatching. Just remove the basket i suppose:)
    Only pic i have of it, you can get the idea

[​IMG]

4. ropenwendy

ropenwendy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2013
    Gypsum KS
    I had twoOrpingtons go broody. I have a former rabbit hutch that I put them in (Fortunately they went brrody at seperate times). I did have straw in there. The first one took about a week and the second one took about three days and they both started laying again.

5. liamando

liamando Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2013
    Scotland
    When do I get her out?

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How long has she been in broody breaker? Leave for couple of days, then let her out, if she runs right back to her nest,she is still broody,back to the broody cage. The longer a hen is left broody,the longer it takes to break them. When she is finished being broody,she will resume normal chicken activity,scratching,running around yard,etc.

7. ropenwendy

ropenwendy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2013
    Gypsum KS
    I waited until she started laying again. I would let them free range together during the day with the nesting area closed off, but then at night I would seperate her again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by