Broody chicken issues

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Elisabethx3, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Elisabethx3

Elisabethx3 New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    Florida
    Okay this is our first liter of chicks.

We have 9 chickens and only one broody! So all odd our chickens say on her to lay their eggs. Now we have 24 eggs that she been sitting on for quite some time. One hatched. Such a cute bugger!

Three other eggs she cracked open - ate two of them and the other was fully developed and died. She won't leave the nest so the first chick just died today at for days old. Now I have zero chicks and a hen who now keeps eating eggs. Any help is much needed.

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!!

It sounds like she is not going to make a very good broody hen [​IMG] I would candle and then ditch these eggs. How long has it been since the first one hatched? Some of them may still be viable, you'll want to remove any that are clear or murky when an LED light is put next to them, and keep any that look solid, not sloshy, with a good air cell.

If you do want to give her another chance, next time make sure to set a manageable clutch under her (I set 6-12 eggs under a full sized hen depending on her mothering skills and the outside temperature) and mark the shells with a pencil. Then, collect any unmarked eggs daily to make sure there are not too many eggs in the nest! Too many eggs in the nest can lead to breakage, which can lead to egg eating, and the hen can develop a pattern of cracking her own eggs open. 24 is definitely too many.

Some people also prefer to separate the hen from the other chickens to give her more peace and to not have to deal with the too-many-eggs problem.

Check out Hatching Eggs 101 for candling instructions.

Check out this Broody Hen thread for more info on that front.

Good luck!

3. Elisabethx3

Elisabethx3 New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    Florida
    Okay. I already moved her and the baby was four days, maybe five today. I found it this morning. All if my eggs are light brown to dark brown. The candling talks about seeing through the egg but i have never been able to "see" anything. Is there another way to check?

4. Elisabethx3

Elisabethx3 New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    Florida
    I just cracked a few eggs open. Two eggs were green. Two eggs had chicks and one was sortof a chick. Question, if they have chicks, would they be moving around? Or look lifeless?

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

If the chicks are lifeless, that means that they either got a chill or had some other problem and died in the egg. If it is alive, its heart will be beating. Sometimes it will gasp for breath.

Some people have good luck Days 18-23 of hatch with tapping on the side of the egg and listening for a peep from the baby inside. To candle, you have to have a dark spot and a very strong, small light. Tiny LED flashlights work fairly well. You won't see much of anything when you candle. Instead, you will just notice the light coming through the entire egg, or you will notice that the light doesn't come through the egg and that it is very dark. The Hatching 101 page has a guide, with pictures, to candling.

Your hen sounds like she had a hard time with the babies, both sitting on them as eggs and caring for them as chicks. Some hens just don't make good mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by