broody chicken now on eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksnducks, Aug 21, 2007.

1. chicksnducks

chicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    I started out posting in the incubator section but my momma chicken went broody so I gave her the dozen or so eggs that I was going to put into the bator.
    Now what??? Do I need to do any thing? I made sure food and water are close to the nest...she has tucked all of her eggs underneath her and the blueish ones from another chicken are not quite underneath her...it's like she is thinking about whether to sit on them or not....since this is my first time hatching, I am so excited!!! and want to make sure I am doing the right thing....

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    When I have a broody hen I always separate her from the flock and keep her and her nest in a wire cage on the floor with fresh food and water......just helps to keep them away from the other hens getting in the nest with her...I also never put more then 12 to 14 eggs under one seems thats the limit for standards to hatch....if you have a place you can place her by herself it really helps...if the nest is up high the chicks will fall out when they start hatching after a few days and not be able to get back to her...also the other hens or rooster may be mean to them...I have a hen now with 2 chicks and they are 8 weeks old still away from my flock .....If you need to move her wait til evening and move her and the nest...seems to help if its dark out...the hen will be more calm about moving...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by