broody chicken qestions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TCchickengirl, Sep 18, 2013.

1. TCchickengirl

TCchickengirl Out Of The Brooder

Hi! everyone i am a new member to BYC and i have a couple questions i was wondering that someone could answer. I have 6 chickens there are 1 Dominique, 4 Marans and 1 buckeye. I was wondering if anyone new when those breeds of chickens usually start to get broody. All of my hens are at least 7 months old [​IMG] and i have been wanting to get chicks!. [​IMG] So
    please help out . [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined us! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

While birds of some breeds are more likely to go broody than others, some hens never go broody. There is no telling when (or if) it will happen, and no way to cause it to occur.

BTW, do you have a rooster? Very necessary if you are going to try to hatch your own eggs.

Also very large letters can seem like shouting

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Silkies are frequently used as natural incubators because it's common for them to go broody - they will often hatch and raise any fertile eggs put under them - even duck eggs, etc.

But that doesn't mean every silkie will. I believe Buff orpingtons and Icelandic chickens are often broody as well. I'm sure there are other breeds.

5. TCchickengirl

TCchickengirl Out Of The Brooder

thank you for the advise i will take it into consideration and i don't have a rooster. when they start to go broody i am thinking about buying a already incubated egg i cant get a rooster because i live in a neighborhood that they don't allow them and my mother dose not really like the crowing early in the morning neither do i.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! If you really want chicks you can try and tempt the hens to go go broody by leaving a few "bait" eggs, fake eggs or golf balls in a nestbox for them. I've had some success with this method. But as the above posters said, it comes down the the breed and the individual hen. Broodiness is triggered by hormones and some hens just want to be mommas while others will never go broody. Best of luck and hope the ladies get the hint and go broody for you!

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! You can always buy some chicks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by