Broody chicken refuses to sit on other hens eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mirelacd, Mar 8, 2017.

1. mirelacd

mirelacd New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    So, yesterday my broody chicken Blackie decided that she will not budge and sit on those eggs. Later in the day, I added some other hens eggs under her, thinking that she will keep sitting there.... She has gone broody before and I discouraged it and kept removing her eggs... This time I decided to give her a try at this. Today she moved herself to another nest with no eggs under her. Later she moved again in a nestbox where two other eggs were there.... Shall I continue to let her sit there or can I add some eggs to her 2 and let her do her thing.... hopefully she will sit for the entire process to hatching. Also in addition to her, my other hen decided to start sitting in a nestbox on another 3 eggs, which I think they are not all hers, since I collect eggs every day.

This is my first time trying to hatch chicks with these two going all natural and letting them do their thing. Also I probably should move them out of the coop and wonder if they would not break their broodiness by moving. Any expert advice is much appreciated.

Thank you so much.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I moved 72 broody hens in just 2015 and another 80 the two years before that. I have never had a hen to reject the move, BUT I have all my coops and nesting boxes set-up for the move. I feel you will have less problems if you move the hen in the nest to a ""ready"" hatching pen. If you pull her out her nest and go stick her in another nest with eggs-----she might not accept that. I do move all mine at night with little or no light---if its a moon lit night I cover the nest with a dark cloth for the move. All my hens hatched every time and usually hatched all the fertile eggs under them. They never got on the wrong nest-----because there was only one nest.

If your nest is not moveable----then I would see if I could figure out how to add a insert in the nest while she was on a break----then move her in the insert in the dark of night. Or I would attach a moveable nest in front of the non-movable nest??

3. mirelacd

mirelacd New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    Thank you for your advice. I will try to move her at night, in a moveable nestbox, separated from all the others and hope she will do well there.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by