broody chicken still lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by poplarbird, Nov 24, 2016.

1. poplarbird

poplarbird Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Australia
    one of my chicken started to behave broody by plug her feather out, staying in the laying box all day, clucky, puff out her feather .... anyway she has been in the wire bottom cage for 3 days.

today very early in the morning we found an egg in the cage, so she laid. the egg cracked and we had to throw it away. We let her out but she was still doing exact same thing, and went into laying box soon after she ate and drank.

would a chicken still lay when she is obviously broody? what should i do normally in this caseļ¼Ÿ

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Evidently she did lay because you found the egg. I have never had a broody hen continue laying while she was setting. Sounds as if she needs to go back into the broody buster cage.

3. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    In the wild, a broody hen will lay her clutch off eggs and then brood them. She could've laid that egg so she could've hatched it.

4. poplarbird

poplarbird Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Australia
    yes. she's in the buster cage tho we felt very sorry for her that we can't let her hatch in our small backyard.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    do you have the cage elevated so cold air circulates underneath? That usually persuades them not to stay broody. You can't have any shavings on the floor, they need the bare wire floor so they can't attempt to make a nest.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    One time I had a confirmed broody pop out an egg a few days after she dedicated herself to setting on the nest. It's unusual, definitely not a regular thing, but it can happen. I'd leave her in the buster, as it sounds like she's clearly still hormonal and wanting to brood.

7. poplarbird

poplarbird Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Australia
    yes. it's raised with 2 bricks. just food and water, no other stuff.

8. poplarbird

poplarbird Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Australia
    good to know that this could happen. thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by