Broody chicken surprise!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by calibersway, May 13, 2009.

1. calibersway

calibersway Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Roxboro North Carolina
    Unexpected surprise in a batch of 'imitation eggs' under a broody hen.

Well, I have a very broody chicken pair, one is a sultan the other is a sultan/silkie cross, I'd been taking the eggs from them and well this of course pisses them off, well around Easter, its getting chaotic, i'm having all my layer's wanting to lay their eggs in these two's boxes, so a friend who's a breeder suggests imitation eggs...Well so I happen to have some of the ceramic 'real looking' decorative eggs someone had given me forever ago and were just collecting dust. SO, these things are kinda hefty, they're solid but not really heavy but not light and insubstantial like plastic...So this seems to pacify them some, and i even let them have two real eggs i knew were fertile, to sit on a piece just to see what would happen.

well the sultan/silkie mix, is off the nest off and on all one day, so i go check the real eggs and candle them, they'res no movement, or sign of them being fertile, so i toss them. But i do sit down 4 new eggs

Well this morning i'm going out to get the fresh eggs again, and remember this is supposed to be just my laying pen, there isn't a rooster in there. WELL i pick up "Mulan" the sultan, get my fresh eggs, and even candle her two fertile eggs which look to have babies growing and crowded in the eggs...SO I leave her alone, pick up Gizmo who shares the next nest box (sultan/silkie mix) an something FALLS!!!!!! I get the poopie scared out of me, well i look and its a BABY!!!!! [​IMG]: [​IMG]:

Apparently I must have marked a unfertile egg, and marked the true original fertile egg like i did the ceramic ones, which i didn't even touch or mess with under them. WELL if this little girlie (its a pullet!!!!) hatched last night, then i should be having the other two hatching under mulan today or tomorrow.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Yeah!

3. calibersway

calibersway Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Roxboro North Carolina
    Oh yeah i was all kinds of surprised. was not expecting that. I was thinking snake, because i knew a snake had been in there eating the bantam eggs just the day before, so i about dropped the mama hen. haha:lol:

4. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by