1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody chicken!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tashie, Sep 28, 2016.

1. tashie

tashie New Egg

Sep 28, 2016
    bishops stortford uk
    I have 2 chickens who I love. They both lay wonderful eggs every morning. But yesterday morning one of them didnt come out when I opened the door. So I just left her there. Shes still there this morning. She wont let my other chicken in to lay her egg this morning. They both normally come out first thing then go back in at 10 to lay thier eggs but as she wont let the other one back in this isnt happening at the moment. Now the problem I have is im going away next week and was planning on taking them both to my mums for a holiday whilst im away. Can I still move her even if shes sitting on eggs? I dont no what to do for the best??

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG]

If you don't have a rooster or don't plan on hatching out any fertilized eggs, you probably would want to "break" her of her broodiness. This is because when hens go broody they stop laying, become more aggressive, and can lose weight. Here is an article on what to do with a broody hen, and you can do a quick search of the forum for more threads and articles.

Best of luck and thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. BOff is perfectly correct, so there's nothing for me to add.

Best of luck breaking her broodiness!

CT

4. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    :frow Hi, and welcome to BYC! @bufforpington88 has given you some good advice, I'll just say Hi :)

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, tashie, and :welcome. Great to have you in our community! Best of luck with your broody! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Taking her to your mom's may upset her enough to forget about brooding. Chickens hate changes, especially being re-located. It's very stressful for them.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello and welcome to Backyard chickens! I agree with everything, especially Bufforpington88. So I will just wish you the best of luck with her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by