Broody Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ken facemire, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ken facemire

ken facemire Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Manchester
    How do I get my bantam mix to get off the nest? I really don't want to, but can't hatch any more chicks. She won't give it up and hasn't laid an egg in over a month. Also I have another silkie mix that was broody and hatched some chcks that I took away from her (not wanting to) and I want to know when she will start laying eggs again?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The best way to break a broody is to keep her in a small cage off the ground with a wire bottom for three or four days. The wire bottom keeps her undersides cool, which seems to help. Give her food and water and she should be fine. Do not give her anything that looks like a nest or nesting materials.

If you don't have the wire cage, any small cage will do, but it might take a little longer. Just find a way to keep her from going back to her nest.

It may take only a week or so before whe starts laying again or it may take up to 2 months. It just depends on the hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by