broody chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jennio, May 10, 2009.

1. jennio

jennio New Egg

May 10, 2009
    One of the chickens wouldn't go in the coop at night, but would come around in the day, just for a short while. Then, for about a week, I did not see her at all and thought she was a gonner. Today, I found her under a tarp, nesting a clutch of eggs. Since we do not have a rooster, the eggs of course will not hatch. Should I move her back in the coop? Should I pull the eggs? Should I let her alone to do her chicken thing? The other chickens all get turned out in the day and back in the coop at night. Jennio

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You can pull the eggs, it would be best for her as being broody is hard on a bird. But that won;t stop her from doing it again. Can you buy some eggs that are fertile? If not, PM your address and I will send some for the cost of shipping - mine are mutt eggs.

3. jennio

jennio New Egg

May 10, 2009
    Thanks. Later that day, she came up to the house so I ran down to her nest. There were 13 eggs! I pulled all of them and cooked em up and my dogs had a great treat. I don't know if they were any good for us to eat but they smelled and looked all right. She had probably been at it for about 20 days or so, just the time I brought home 3 day old chicks. Yes, I can imagine it is hard on them. Poor dear was quite thin and was eating with a vengence. My place is bare of bugs! Thanks for the offer of fertile eggs. I'm not quite ready for all of that! I'm pretty busy with full time work and going back to school. But give me some guidance and we can talk about it. jennio

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by