broody chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jennio, May 10, 2009.

1. jennio

jennio New Egg

May 10, 2009
    One of the chickens wouldn't go in the coop at night, but would come around in the day, just for a short while. Then, for about a week, I did not see her at all and thought she was a gonner. Today, I found her under a tarp, nesting a clutch of eggs. Since we do not have a rooster, the eggs of course will not hatch. Should I move her back in the coop? Should I pull the eggs? Should I let her alone to do her chicken thing? The other chickens all get turned out in the day and back in the coop at night. Jennio

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Since the eggs are not fertile, you have two choices. Either get her some fertile eggs or break her from being broody. Being broody is hard on a hen. They can take it for a while but it is best not to make it too long.

To break her form being broody, the surest way is to put her in a wire-bottomed cage off the ground for three or four days. Give her food and water. Don't give her anything that can be used as a nest or nesting material. The wire bottom on the cage allows her undersides to cool off, which helps. If you can't keep her in a wire bottom cage, just lock her up somewhere with food and water for three of four days. It will still break her but may take a little longer.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with Ridgerunner. No sense putting her body thru that if she's not got fertile eggs to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by