1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beau53, Oct 31, 2011.

1. beau53

beau53 New Egg

Apr 25, 2011
    Hi all new this year to chickens , they started laying but one has gone broody she pecks me when i go near the nesting box ....

have taken the box out but she found the box in the shed and jumped back in , she has stopped laying , but when the other chicken lays she jumps on her egg..

any ideas what to do ??? asked the guy we got them from he said to get fertile eggs for her to sit on ..

As we really dont want lots more chickens this is not a option .......

Thanks from Sydney Australia [​IMG]

2. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I am new to raising chickens but from what I have read up on broodiness you have to remove her from the box and keep her away from it for a while.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome to you both!! [​IMG]

The best thing to do is keep taking her of the nest everytime you see her on there and got into the coop at night and remove her and put her on the roost. After a few days if she hasn't given up you can remove her and put her in a wire bottom cage for a few days! You have to make sure that whatever you put her in has air flow from the bottom!! Good luck!!

4. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by