Broody chicken

kimberleet

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
Hello! I am new to this site, and not quite sure how to post a question in the correct place. So, here goes....

I have a chicken (Red Sex link) that has gone broody. Way, over the top broody for my way of thinking. She has stayed in the hen house for approximately 21days and will only come out when I carry her out to eat and drink. She eats and drinks so little that she is light, with no meat, and her lovely comb is dry and flat. I have been trying to keep her out of the hen house (closing the door during the days), but this does not seem to break the broodiness. I am scared that I will loose Rosie. I recently put her in a medium sized dog kennel with straw, feed, and water, to try to get her to eat, but I am still worried. Any ideas? Please help if you can. Again, if this is not the correct place to post this, someone let me know. I am truly worried about Rosie.

Thank you
kimberlee

She sounds very determined!

Some recommended breaking a broody by putting her in a wire cage. You want the cage up on something so that airflow can cool down her underside. I've heard it can take a while. One of mind went broody, but she was not as determined and I broke her of that in just a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom