Broody Chicken

kimberleet

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
Hello! I am new to this site, and not quite sure how to post a question in the correct place. So, here goes....

I have a chicken (Red Sex link) that has gone broody. Way, over the top broody for my way of thinking. She has stayed in the hen house for approximately 21days and will only come out when I carry her out to eat and drink. She eats and drinks so little that she is light, with no meat, and her lovely comb is dry and flat. I have been trying to keep her out of the hen house (closing the door during the days), but this does not seem to break the broodiness. I am scared that I will loose Rosie. I recently put her in a medium sized dog kennel with straw, feed, and water, to try to get her to eat, but I am still worried. Any ideas? Please help if you can. Again, if this is not the correct place to post this, someone let me know. I am truly worried about Rosie.

Thank you
kimberlee

You might read this. I personally prefer the wire bottomed cage. Give her food and water, make sure it is predator proof, and hopefully in a few days the problem is solved.

Break a Broody Thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2176186#p2176186

Most broodies will get up often enough to eat and drink enough to stay relatively healthy, but some go to extremes. I don't know your specific situation, but another option may be to get a few day old chicks and slip them under her at night so she can raise them. But yes, I think it is cruel to not either let her raise chicks or break her. Letting them stay broody is hard on them and some will go for a very long time. You are doing the right thing.

do you have any faux eggs in there, golf balls or rocks? If you do and since she has been on the nest for 3 weeks you might as well drop some chicks under her and see if she'll take them. I'm not sure if feed stores in your area have chicks, most here don't this time of year, but you can try craigslist to see if you can pick some up. When you add them to the nest just do it at night when she is asleep.

Ridge Runner and Uncle Tommy,
Flockmaster

Thank you so much for the help. I truly feel badly for the lovely girl. I would love to put a couple of chicks under her because she looks like she wants to be a mama so badly, but I don't need any more "girls" at this time. I am trying to finish their new chicken condo, but it looks like it's going to be another month. Anyway, the link that you sent to me, RidgeRunner, was perfect. I learned a lot from the forum. I did take away the fake eggs so that she would not have the feelings of "sitting" on eggs, but that hasn't dampened her spirits. Anyway, I will try to find a bunny or bird cage with open wire holes for her. Just a question, don't answer if I am bothering anyone, but why the open wired holes, and why no bedding? Just curious. I did put bedding in there, so I will take that out when I get home from work, and I will make sure that I take the cover off of her. I put her in a dark quiet place, so I wouldn't stress her further. I am concerned about putting her up so air flows under her, the temperature is around 4o with a strong wind, and I don't want her to get sick on top of this. Could I keep her in the kennel, minus the bedding and cover, and put her in a place that the wind will blow towards her, but not directly on/under her, making her cold? Or is the air circulating under her what is necessary to stimulate her to get up off the nest?

Again, thank you for the response. It is much appreciated.

Kimberlee

The open bottom is to get cool air on her underside. That seems to help a bunch. If you can put it where there is no breeze hitting her, she'll be fine. Protected in the coop maybe, or in a building? If she has bedding material, she might try to make a nest.

40 degrees is not that bad on a hen, but wind chill does count some. Maybe just hang a blanket or a sheet of plastic to break the force of the wind. They are not as delicate as you might think.

Ridge Runner
Flock Master,

Thank you so much for the help. I feel better and like I might be able to help Rosie. I have the perfect place for her where she will get some breeze, but not soooooo much wind (it's windy here today). I will also remove the bedding, she is too content sitting there. Again, thank you.
smile.png

Kimberlee

Back
Top Bottom