Broody Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FarmLad, Sep 13, 2012.

1. FarmLad

FarmLad New Egg

Jun 18, 2012
    One of my hens has gone broody but we use the eggs for our own consumption and selling. We do not have a rooster so she is sitting on eggs that will not hatch into chicks. How long will this last and is there something I can do about it? It just started this week.

Thanks!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yep! If they're not fertile you don't really want her sitting, since it is not the best thing for her. Plus, you want eggs! To start with, move her out of the nest she is brooding in and remove all bedding material so she won't want to be there. That alone might do it as broodies don't like to be moved. Also, start taking her off the nest and out of the coop and putting her as far away from it as you can safely get her. Do this as many times as possible a day. If she goes back to the nest, take her off again. And, if she's really stubborn and none of this works (it can take a few days, so don't give up too early) put her in a wire bottomed cage elevated off the ground so that there is air flow underneath her. Leave her there for a day or so, and then let her out. If she goes back to nest, put her back in the cage for a longer time period. Make sure she has food and water in there. Eventually she'll get the idea. Good luck!

3. cozycrestmom

cozycrestmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Ahh.. I see.. One of our hens as taken up a box for the last 2 days.. Hubby keeps taking her out.. but she is there again today...
    Love reading the help in here though..!

4. Kathygreg

Kathygreg New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    One of my sussex hens became broody 2 weeks ago and I didnt really know what to do other than try to encourage her outside. I lifted her off the nest each morning and evening if I got a chance before it went dark and she did eat, drink loads and have a play around. However, she bounced right back on the nest. As it didnt look as though things were getting any better I rang the guy I bought my 6 chickens from. He has given me a duck and hen fertile eggs that Miss Purdy Birdy is now sitting on all day. I shoe-horned her off the nest this morning to eat but she did get angry with me and then didnt go back for ages so I dont know whether I did the right thing trying to get her to eat with the rest of the girls or shoud I just leave her alone....help!! Not sure how this is going to pan out as I dont know if Im ready for a duckling!

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Welcome to BYC.
    They usually come off the nest to eat when they get hungry. Then they eat, drink and poop.

6. buffy the eggslayer

buffy the eggslayer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Yorkshire, UK
    Hi,

you might want to check out my blog- Bothered by a broody at www.thechickenwhisperer.co.uk
    I wrote it to help people who want to know what to do about their breedy hens.

I hope you find it helpful,[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by