Broody Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by egglady115, Jan 3, 2014.

1. egglady115

egglady115 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2013
    Because I don't have a rooster my girls cannot hatch any babies. Can you put fertilized eggs of another breed under her to hatch? Where can I get fertilized eggs for this process?

2. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes you can, I usually takes eggs of some of my bad breeders and put them underneath quality breeders, If possible you can get from nearby farmers, I read in this forum that their is hatcherys that supplies fertilized eggs, but don't really know them

3. egglady115

Sep 18, 2013
    Thanks for the information..

4. egglady115

Sep 18, 2013
    Okay now that this recent cold snap is over I have a few question about getting eggs for my broody chicken. My NH Red wants to be a mommy; I want to get 2 fertile eggs of another breed for her to hatch, will she take care of them once they hatch? Will I need to put her in a different place once the babies hatch? Or just move them? Or leave things be?

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The eggs you put under them make no difference, as long as they are fertile. Some grocery stores carry fertile eggs too, such as Trader Joes. I understand the hatch rates aren't the best though, 1 or 2 chicks out of 12 eggs.

How each hen does in the flock with babies is an individual thing. Some do well and raise their babies with no problems, others do not protect them well and it ends up in babies getting crushed. I usually move mine after the chicks hatch to private quarters that are still visible to the rest of the flock. I have had broodies freak out if you move them when they are sitting. But once the babies hatch, you can move them at night to an area of the coop that is a bit more private. If you keep them within sight of the flock, they will not have any trouble rejoining the flock. I keep mine separated for a week, then let momma and babies out with the flock. It works very well and I had 10 broodies last year.

6. egglady115

Sep 18, 2013
    Thank you very much for your input. I think I feel more comfortable with the process.

7. Harleysflock

Harleysflock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2012
    Hi does anybody know what BAM and BCH Stand for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by