broody chicken

lovely guy

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 17, 2014
i bought a golden hen and a rooster...........i didnt knew about the breed..and after a couple of days my rooster died...so i bought 4 broiler chicks and have kept them with that hen.....what i have seen that she took care of those chicks ..as it was cold so they used to get under her feather and thats how she took care of them...the thing was that she was not laying eggs that time as she was very small.......but a month befor she started laying...i wanted her to be broody but she has laid atleast 30 eggs and even then no sign of broodiness...............two days before when she was laying her egg she was gathering feathers and straws and puting them in her nest .....please can any body tell me if she's gonna be broody.....or any other way to encourage broodiness...am dying for chicks..

Broodiness cannot be encouraged, or enticed.

A hen will go broody when she wants too.

That said - there are a hundred urban legends on how to get a hen to go broody. I myself saw a hen go broody after hearing baby chicks. It wasn't as if her eyes turned to stars or anything, but several days after I had my hatchlings mingle with the older hens she went broody. I can't prove one caused the other - probably had nothing to do with it. But you never know!

A hen goes broody pretty much when her hormones and instincts tell her to. So, there's no way to "make" her go broody,however, you can buy "dummy" eggs online or perhaps at your local feed store. Put these in her nesting box to entice her to set on them. Once you're sure she's broody (been on the nest for, say, two to three days) you have a few options. You can let her set on the fake eggs and after about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks purchase chicks to replace the eggs, or you purchase fertile eggs from the Internet or other local sources and let her hatch them, which in my opinion, is the most fun. You could also acquire another rooster and let her hatch her own eggs. Keep in mind that broody hens don't lay for a while (I've heard of some not laying for months) after they've hatched a clutch or have abandoned the nest. Good luck!

I have two broody hens sitting right now. I bought a dozen eggs, split them into two piles. Put one hen in a cage with hay and eggs...come out next day and shes sitting. Put some in the back coop and next day..hen sitting. These are chickens that have been completely free range and reproducing naturally for well over a decade with a few new chickens thrown into the bunch every few years.
They are basically just game bantams...mostly little red hens. My boyfriend acquired them to help break down horse manure on his ranch and let them roam free. Roosting in trees. So maybe it's not impossible, maybe it has more to do with broody genes than anything else.
We leave one egg a day in most nests, but if you fail to pick up for a day or two, there is always a girl sitting.

can anybody tell me about the breed................... of ma chicken....i"ll upload the pics soon

Back
Top Bottom