broody chicken

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rlafave69, Feb 5, 2015.

1. rlafave69

rlafave69 New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm really interested in getting some broodys what is the best breeds?

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    So far, from my flock, I'd say SILKIES!!! I have both Cochins and a single Silkie. All are about the same age; the Cochins are about two months older. However, only the Silkie has become broody. In fact, I have some eggs under my Silkie due to hatch this weekend.

I am concerned about the Cochins that I have though since they are some mean little buggers! Even as chicks, they would attack younger chicks. I may have to isolate them when I'm ready to let Momma and babies join the rest of the flock.

I have had a Barred Rock go broody in the past as well. Sweet breed and by far, has been my friendliest.

3. rlafave69

rlafave69 New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    That's what I've heard but I've got silkie now and they have yet to go broody I'm looking at speckled sussex, delawares, and marans

4. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    How old are yours right now? And for what it is worth, I had ten in my last flock and none of my S.sussex ever went broody. Delawares might be a better option if you are getting from a breeder rather than a hatchery. Which could be said really for any breed.

5. rlafave69

rlafave69 New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    Ya the silkies are 2 yes old but they are from murray macmurray

6. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Ouch, two years without going broody. Mine when broody for the first time at about nine months.

Regardless of what breed you choose, try to find a local breeder who has worked with their flock a couple of generations. Particularly one who has had luck with broodies. Chicks from broodies are more likely to inherit the broodiness from their mother.

7. rlafave69

rlafave69 New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    Thank you I'll start looking

8. joshuahickman

joshuahickman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    My Coop
    yea i have two broody right now i hope they will make it
    [​IMG]

9. joshuahickman

joshuahickman Out Of The Brooder