Broody Chickens R they worth it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by catterbug, Dec 5, 2010.

1. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    We have been thinking about adding a few chicks to our flock. Are chickens that are known to go broody worth it? I haven't experienced a broody chicken before. I only have 2 that are known for broodiness and 2 that are "infrequently" broody and the other 4 aren't supposed to be broody at all. I just wanted some opinions because I had a friend that had a broody girl this past summer and it was very difficult to break her.

2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Are you looking for a hen to hatch and raise chicks? If so yes a good broody is worth her wieght in ummmmmm eggs!! If you are looking for a hen to lay lots of eggs you really dont want a broody hen.

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    If you do not want your girls to ever go broody and hatch any chicks then no they are not worth it. With some broodies you will drive yourself insane trying to break them and not to mention the lost egg production. To others a good broody is worth her weight in gold! I would much rather have reliable broody hens who will take whatever eggs I will give them and let them raise the chicks on their own. Much easier than trying to brood them in the house. So in a nut shell it all depends on what YOUR needs are if you can and want the hens to hatch the eggs.

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    It's difficult to stop most of the time but it is possible to break them. Whether they are worth it is depends on if you want to let them hatch their own chicks. [​IMG] The ones that go broody often are usually good mothers

5. kathy in cuero

kathy in cuero Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    I know your post was this last April, but I was curious if you decided to have broody hens...I have a broody half Silky/Araucana and she has been sitting/setting for three months without any babies. It has been her bad luck that the eggs weren't fertile, as my other hens have had chicks with no problems. I have not decided what to do....take her off the nest or let her set.

6. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Quote:Swap out the eggs for fertile ones!!

7. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Or better yet, swap the eggs for day old chicks that you buy somewhere, time for her to have some babies.

8. chickensnax

chickensnax Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    south Texas
    Yes its worth it. I'm a fairly new chickie owner. Last fall I let my broody Orpington hatch some eggs. It was a neat experience watching her raise her babies. Well late this spring she went broody again, but kept breaking the eggs so I ordered day olds. I know the standard approach for introducing them to the mom is placing them under her at night, but I picked them up from the post office at 6am and couldn;t wait that long. So I tried one at a time introducing them to her. So as I opened my hand and placed he chick near her, she did the funniest thing, her eyes got all big and clucked and tucked the baby right away under her almost like she said "oh there's my baby" and she did that with each one I gave her. She was the best mom, and even tried babing them when they were as big as she was and she had to follow them around instead of them following her. If she goes boody again this spring, I want to get more for her.

Its totally worth it, its great being able to watch the hen teach her babies new things and how to be a chickie, plus its less work for you since she does it all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by