Broody chickens..

leahdelon

Hatching
Aug 3, 2016
Hi all,

I am after a little help if possible? I have 5 Pekin Bantams who have been going broody on and off for the last 4 months, we have a broody buster that we seem to have to use every week at the moment, once we take the chickens out, another will go broody, at the moment we have two at the same time. As the buster doesn't seem to be working, does anyone have any advice on how to stop them setting each other off?

Thank you!

Leah

Unfortunately that's the nature of the breed. Broodiness has not been bred out of them like some other breeds. My bantam flock constantly has someone broody. Sometimes I break them, sometimes I let them sit, and sometimes I let them hatch. They are adorable so they can get away with it.

Thanks for your quick reply, It is definitely a good job they are cute! Unfortunately we can't let them hatch any as we live in a residential area, I am just concerned they will end up plucking out all their feathers if not careful, we have tried to let one of them ride it out before but 30 days in she showed no signs of giving, hence the broody buster purchase. At the moment we have one in the buster who has decided to sit on top of her feeder...chickens hey!!

They are stubborn, I've had them set for a couple months in the past, and sometimes find two together fighting over the eggs. I find it easier to wait until they are all broody than block the nestboxes and break them all at once, than they are an agitated pack of fluffballs. The cage works well though, but as you said it's constantly being used.

They are my favorite breed, and when they do lay I enjoy their perfect eggs. They have such a wonderful gentle disposition, and they are adorable.

Back
Top Bottom