Broody Chickens

12cutechicks12

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2018
Vermont
Hi Folks,

I have a broody Black Australorp named Winifred, I've tried all the tactics to get her to not be broody (lock her out, dunk in water, block off nesting box, remove eggs, three days in the dog kennel). Nothing seemed to work so I found some fertile eggs for her, but my family's going on vacation when they would hatch.

My question is, how long can you store fertilized eggs? I've heard 7 days and from there fertility drops dramatically.

If anyone has any thoughts or methods they'd like to share I would be most appreciative.
Thank You!

You can store them up to 10 days before the viability will start to be affected. They need to be stored properly though. Recommended is 50-70 degrees. Store fat end up in an egg carton which is propped up on one end by about 30 degrees. Rotate which end is up daily.

Next time leave her in a wire bottom crate slightly elevated off the ground for 3-7 days. Feed and water in the crate, and don't let her out until day 3 to check. If she goes back to the nest, back to the crate for another few days. All that other stuff like dunking doesn't work because it's only temporary.

You can store them up to 10 days before the viability will start to be affected. They need to be stored properly though. Recommended is 50-70 degrees. Store fat end up in an egg carton which is propped up on one end by about 30 degrees. Rotate which end is up daily.

Next time leave her in a wire bottom crate slightly elevated off the ground for 3-7 days. Feed and water in the crate, and don't let her out until day 3 to check. If she goes back to the nest, back to the crate for another few days. All that other stuff like dunking doesn't work because it's only temporary.

Thank you so much, I will definitely use those tips next time I have a broody hen because I've got enough chicks as is.

Back
Top Bottom