Broody Chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JoesChickens, Oct 14, 2009.

1. JoesChickens

JoesChickens New Egg

Oct 6, 2009
    How do you know if a chickens is REALLY broody?

I'm comparatively new to this.

I have barred rock hens that will set on eggs almost every day and violently defend them from people and chickens alike (screaming and pecking). However, they will never stick to it and they are always somewhere else a few hours later.

On the other hand. i have a couple bantam hens(Duccle' & BBOEG) who never seem to act very broody. They do like to find places to lay their eggs, but they dont ever seem to act broody as I would expect broodiness to look like. They seem too far skittish, and if they ARE sitting on eggs, just getting too close to them (me or the cat) is enough to scare them off.

Thanks
    -Joe

PS: I am getting some silkie chicks, but I expect it will be quite a long time before they are ready to lay (at least 6 months?)

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Here, let's see if I can answer your questions:
    Quote:If they sleep in the nest and stay there most of the day, they are broody.

I have barred rock hens that will set on eggs almost every day and violently defend them from people and chickens alike (screaming and pecking). However, they will never stick to it and they are always somewhere else a few hours later.

Are they sleeping in the nests?

I am getting some silkie chicks, but I expect it will be quite a long time before they are ready to lay (at least 6 months?)

Yep. A loooong time!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by