Broody Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buster, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Can someone tell me what a good egglaying standard size chicken that goes broody is? I would like to have some broody birds. Also, I have Speckled Sussex, Partridge Rocks, New Hampshire Reds, and an Ameraucana. Will any of these go broody?

2. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Not sure if those will go broody, but I have Standard Old English and they get pretty broody. However, really can't predict when they will go broody though.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Speckled Sussex is a good broody.

Partridge Rocks doesn't go broody often.

New Hampshire Reds is a good broody.

Buff Orpingtons are good broody hens.

So are silkies but I don't care for the type. There are many who slip eggs under their silkies for hatching different breeds.

Editing to add - those are not the only ones that are good broody hens. Just what came to mind quickly. Look over on henderson's site at their chart and for some really good info.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Buff Orps have a reputation for going broody and being attentive moms. I'll lend you Miss Grumpy Pants (aka Pumpkin) next time she goes broody.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Henderson's
    chicken chart lists which breeds are good broodies.

We have Banties and the Mottled Cochins and Silkies are the broodiest. I sold the MC's awhile back because of their broodiness and now I'm constantly "breaking a brood", thanks to the Silkies.

It wouldn't be a bad thing IF it was spring-time and all three hens went broody but we've been colder than normal here and I don't have the extra room to seperate them and let them do a hatch.

Dawn

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks for the advice- i'm hoping my ss hens will go broody for me in the spring

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by